Welcome! On behalf of everyone at Habitat Hillsborough, thank you for volunteering with us, believing in our mission, and supporting one important vision - that everyone deserve a decent, affordable place to call home.
If you are registering for a shift at the Silvermill ReStore, located at 11236 W. Hillsborough Avenue (Town 'N County area at the Silvermill Plaza)... you are in the right place! Please click on VOLUNTEER to view and sign up for shifts.
If you are looking for volunteer opportunities at the East Hillsborough ReStore, located at 3738 E. Hillsborough Avenue (40th & E. Hillsborough Ave.), please click here.
- If you trying to register for a scheduled volunteer day with your company, school, faith organization, or groups, please visit our Group Volunteer Registration page.
- If you are interested in scheduling a group volunteer day, please refer to our group volunteer page for the right person to contact.
- For individual construction volunteer opportunities, please click here.
- For a list of ALL volunteer opportunities by date, please check out our volunteer calendar.
Below are some things to know about your upcoming volunteer day. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Volunteer Services Department by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (813-239-2242 ext. 114).
We look forward to seeing you on site soon!
What is a typical work day like?
Our Silvermill ReStore is open Tuesday - Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Volunteers are welcome to pick the morning shift (9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.) or the afternoon shift (1:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.). For those earning court-ordered community service hours or school service hours, you are welcome to volunteer for both shifts. Please make sure you bring a lunch.
What should volunteers wear?
Acceptable attire includes a t-shirt, shorts or jeans, and sneakers or work boots. Please make sure to wear clothing you don't mind getting dirty and possibly torn or stained. NO flip-flops, Toms, Crocs, or any open toed/back shoes.
What should volunteer bring?
- Water or Coffee - There will be water provided, but bringing your own water is always a good idea. It is very important to stay hydrated. Please feel free to bring additional beverages, such as coffee, with you to the work site.
- Gloves - Shared work gloves are provided unless you would like to bring your own.
- A Positive Attitude - Plan on having fun but also working hard. Remember the purpose for which you are volunteering - to help families and individuals in your community and support Habitat Hillsborough's mission to build homes, communities, and hope!
ReStore Courtesy and Safety
Smoking | There is NO SMOKING on any Habitat volunteer site. If you must take a smoking break, please step away from the site.
Safety is #1| At Habitat Hillsborough, the safety of volunteers and staff is the highest priority. At the start of the day, the ReStore Manager will go over our safety rules and answer any questions you may have. Volunteers should immediately report unsafe working conditions and health hazards to the ReStore Manager.
Pay Attention | The best way to ensure safety for all workers is the be aware of your surroundings, at all times. You need to look out for your fellow volunteers like they are looking our for you. If you see a potentially dangerous situation, let the ReStore Manager or someone know immediately. It's also important to pay attention to the safety talk given at the beginning of your work day.
Protect Yourself | It is for your safety to wear any safety equipment provided to your by Habitat. This will depend on the scope of work for the day. In most cases, you will need to wear eye protection and gloves. If dust bothers you, please wear a dust mask. If working outside, remember to protect yourself from the sun.
Follow the ReStore Manager | At the ReStore, the ReStore Manager is the boss. There may be other ways to perform a specific task, but we do thing the Habitat way. Once the ReStore Manager makes a decision, please follow his/her directions.
Respect | Please show respect to the building and environment with which you are working. Please take care of the tools and return them to the proper place when you are finished. Please respect your fellow volunteers and Habitat staff.
Learn | Most people that volunteer with Habitat are learning on the job. It is a great experience when you learn something new and are able to teach someone else. Learn as much as you can during your volunteer experience. You'd be amazed at the new things you will learn!
Thank you for building homes, communities, and hope!